This lighthouse marks the dangerous ledge on the west side of the main shipping channel into Portland Harbor. Many vessels ran aground here before a group of steamship companies convinced the government to locate a lighthouse on the ledge in 1891. However, Congress failed to allocate funds until 1896 when construction began. Setbacks in construction, including storms and disputes about materials, delayed completion until May 1897. Built on a cylindrical cast-iron caisson, the lighthouse is a typical "sparkplug" style of the period, but unlike many such structures, the tower is constructed of brick rather than cast iron.
The lighthouse includes four levels, including a keeper's office, watch room and two levels for living quarters. A fifth-order Fresnel lens was installed and a fog bell hung on the side of the tower. The light was electrified and automated in 1934; in 1951 the 900-foot breakwater was constructed, joining the lighthouse with the mainland
The lighthouse is easily accessible; the Spring Point Museum is located in the adjacent Southern Maine Technical College campus. Excursion boats from Portland pass near this light.
The Spring Point Ledge Lighthouse Trust now owns the lighthouse. Occasional open houses are held in the summer.
From Portland/South Portland take Route 77 to Cape Elizabeth. Continue about four miles, and then bear left onto Two Lights Road (Two Lights State Park is to the right). Follow Two Lights Road about 1.75 miles to the end where the public may view and photograph the active lighthouse from a small park and rocky beach area. The inactive tower is to the left shortly after turning on to Two Lights Terrace.