The first Indian Island Light, established in 1850 at the east entrance to Rockport Harbor, was a lantern mounted on the roof of the keeper's house. A fourth-order Fresnel lens was installed in 1856. After being discontinued for a time, the light was reactivated and a new lighthouse tower was built in 1875.
The present lighthouse is a square brick tower attached to the original 1-1/2 story T-shaped brick keeper's house. The light was discontinued permanently in 1934 and replaced by an automatic light on nearby Lowell rock. Since that time the property has been privately owned and posted off limits to the public. Although visible distantly from Rockport Marine Park and other points on shore in the Beauchamp Point area, the light is best viewed from excursion boats and schooners from Camden, Rockport and Rockland.
In Rockport at the intersection of U.S. 1 and Route 90, turn east onto West Street. Continue to Pascals Avenue and turn left, crossing the Goose River Bridge. Turn around and bear left just past the bridge into the Rockport Marine Park entrance (clearly marked). There is a parking area down the hill. From Camden, follow Chestnut Street then Russell Avenue to Beauchamp Point. The road becomes a dirt road and, although narrow, there are areas to park. The area is lovely and the lighthouse can be seen in the distance.