Rocky, 10-acre Pond Island at the mouth of the Kennebec River, off Popham Beach, has no pond; the origin of the name is unknown. Soldiers were quartered on the island during the War of 1812 to prevent the British from entering the Kennebec and the island was a transfer point for steamer passengers in the 1820s.
The first stone lighthouse was built on the island in 1821, marking the east side entrance to the Kennebec River, about two miles northwest of Seguin Island. This structure lasted until 1855 when the present 20-foot brick tower was constructed and fitted with a fifth-order Fresnel lens.
Pond Island Light was automated in 1963 and all buildings except the lighthouse towers were destroyed by the Coast Guard. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service now manage the island as a bird refuge.
The light may be viewed distantly from the Popham Beach area. Closer views are available from tour boats in Boothbay Harbor and Bath's Maine Maritime Museum.
From U.S. Route 1 in Bath, take Route 209 to Popham Beach. *Maine Maritime Museum-From U.S. Route 1 in Bath, Take the "Historic Bath" exit. Turn onto Washington Street and follow the signs past Bath Iron Works to the Museum (clearly marked), 243 Washington St.