Long before English fishermen and fur traders began frequenting the waters of Monhegan, Damariscove and Pemaquid, Native Americans inhabited the area. As recently as the first decade of the 17th century, there was a sizable Wabanaki settlement on the Pemaquid Peninsula. However, by the time a year-round English settlement was established in the 1620's, the area's Indian population was reduced to a fraction of its previous numbers.
In 1631 two merchants from Bristol, England became patent-holding proprietors of Pemaquid, acquiring 12,000 acres plus 100 acres for every settler they brought over from England. By 1665, there were approximately 30 houses existing at Colonial Pemaquid, and by the early 1670's Pemaquid may have had a population of between 150 and 200 people. The settlement, however, was part of an unstable frontier on the northern fringe of British territory that was also claimed by the French.
Pemaquid Area Code is 207