The site of two lighthouses, the remaining active lighthouse was automated in 1963 and the 1,800- pound Fresnel lens removed in 1994. Visible for 27 nautical miles, the active, functioning east tower is the most powerful on the New England coast at four million-candle powers. The 1878 Victorian keeper's house is now privately owned.
The tower is now under the care of the American Lighthouse Foundation. The assistant Keeper's house was incorporated into a new home. Cape Elizabeth Light was the subject of two Edward Hopper paintings, one of which was reproduced on a 1970 issue postage stamp commemorating Maine's 150th anniversary. Recently a significant addition to the former keeper's house was undertaken.
From Portland/South Portland take Route 77 to Cape Elizabeth. Continue about four miles, and then bear left onto Two Lights Road (Two Lights State Park is to the right). Follow Two Lights Road about 1.75 miles to the end where the public may view and photograph the active lighthouse from a small park and rocky beach area. The inactive tower is to the left shortly after turning on to Two Lights Terrace.