|River Valley, Maine - Introduction|
The River Vallley Region, comprised of towns Rumford, Mexico, Dixfield, Andover, Byron, Canton,
Carthage, Hanover, Peru and Roxbury.
The Town of Rumford was incorporated on February 21, 1800. The town boasts the "Great Falls", highest
east of the Niagara Falls, which has always been a focal point of Western Maine. We also have an
Information Center that overlooks Penacook Falls and is run by the Chamber of Commerce. The Information
Center services tourists and residents with general information about the area and local businesses.
Rumford is also home to the Black Mountain Ski Area, which has hosted national and world cup events.
There is an annual Moontide Carnival during the last week of June. The carnival closes off the downtown
streets of Rumford located on the Island Business District. The Moontide Water Festival is held every
4th of July, which features the largest fireworks display in the State of Maine. On average 45,000 to
50,000 attend this spectacular event. Rumford is the site for the SCCA Maine Forest Pro Rally, which
takes place at the end of July. The Pro Rally features real cars on real roads going really fast.
Competitors travel to this event from all around the world.
Mexico Established in 1818. Mexico is located at the junction of Routes 2 and 17. The location on these two important routes is
vital to Mexico's well being. Route 2 linking central Maine to northern New Hampshire and Route 17
connects to the Rangeley Lakes Region. Motorists using both routes, frequently stop by in Mexico.
In the late 1700's Mexico was part of a larger township known as "Holman Town". In the early 1800's,
the township was divided, and the eastern half was incorporated as the town of Dixfield. Mexico was
incorporated in 1818 and named in sympathy for the Mexican struggle to be free from Spanish Domination.
Throughout most of the 1800's, Agriculture and Forestry were important economic enterprises in the
community. The development of the pulp and paper industry in Rumford at the end of the 19th century had
a significant impact on Mexico.
The town was incorporated in 1803. Dixfield is set in the foothills of the western mountains of Maine
located near Mt. Blue State Park, near several lakes and rivers and within minutes of major ski resorts.
The area offers: hiking, bicycling, snowmobiling, canoeing, swimming and camping facilities,
bed & breakfasts, restaurants, retail shops, historical society, and wildlife and tool museums. the
town also offers a medical clinic, several churches and a quality public school. The Dixfield Moose is
one of the many attractions Dixfield has to offer. Bullrock (the moose) is a life-sized carving of a
Maine moose from a 150 year-old, white pine log done by local artist Ted Walker using only a chainsaw.
The town was incorporated in 1804 as East Andover, Massachusetts. In 1820, when Maine became a state,
the east was dropped and the town became Andover, Maine. Andover is located in a valley surrounded by
the western mountains of Maine and near the New Hampshire border. It is the home of the Lovejoy Covered
Bridge, one of five located in the state. Recreational facilities include: camping, hiking, fishing and
hunting. The local horse club hosts well attended events monthly for its members and the public. The
snowmobile club maintains the trails on ITS 82 of the network. The area is convenient to several
downhill ski areas.
The ancient Indian name for Byron was Skillertown. The town was organized on July 6, 1821 as Plantation
#8. In 1833 it was voted to become the Town of Byron, named after the poet of the century, Lord Byron.
In it's early years, Byron was a town of farms scattered among the mountains of its perimeter.
Beginning in the 1850's, the timber industry became the most important to the economy. Tracks were laid
and the train would haul the timber to the mills. In the early 1900's, growing hops (for making beer)
also became important to the economy. Byron is also rich in history of gold prospecting. Gold was first
discovered here in the 1830's. It is found in the Swift River and the East and West brances of the Swift.
People today still enjoy the sport of panning for gold and many are successful.
The Town was incorporated in 1826. Annual Town Meeting on 1st Monday in March. The town is compiled of
The town of Hanover is located on U.S. Route 2 next to the Androscoggin River midway between Rumford and Bethel. Hanover is primarily a residential community. Most of its residents work in the surrounding towns of Rumford, Bethel and Newry. Hanover citizens take pride in their community and its quality of life. First settled in 1744 by Nathaniel Segar, during the 1800's, Hanover was a mill town using waterpower from the Howard Pond Stream. Howards Gore Plantation joined part of Bethel, north of the Androscoggin River, February 14, 1843 to form Hanover. Beautiful mountaintop Howard Pond cover 109 acres and is over 100 feet deep. Trout and Salmon are caught in the spring fed waters. There are many quiet kept cottages along the shores and is to be used by Hanover town residents only. The Hanover heartbeat is provided through the efforts of Chris and Mary Howe at Gordie Howe's Store located in the center of Hanover Village. Also in Hanover you can find a campground, antique shops, real estate office, beauty shops, a sign maker, carpenters and loggers.
Peru is located on the banks of the Androscoggin River and home to Worthley Pond. Peru is a nice place to live, work and play. A community-oriented town, it's motto is "Neighbors helping neighbors." The school enrolls students in grades K-8 with high school students attending either SAD 43 (Rumford) or SAD 21 (Dixfield). Peru has an active volunteer fire department, snowmobile club and parents/teachers/friends organization. One can also enjoy: hiking, bicycling, cross-country skiing or riding snowmobiles across the many miles of trails.