Known among are residents as "Jamie Wyeth's place", the lighthouse is located at the east end of 22-acre Southern Island at the harbor entrance. The 27-foot brick tower was built in 1857 and is connected to the keeper's house by a passageway. A fourth-order Fresnel lens was originally installed and an oil house added in 1906.
The pyramidal bell tower now serves as Wyeth's studio. The light was discontinued in 1934 and offered at auction; several owners preceded the purchase by Andrew Wyeth. His son, Jamie, now owns the property. The lighthouse and keeper's dwelling have been restored and beautifully maintained.
Although the buildings can be seen distantly from the public landing at Tenants Harbor, trees often obscure any view of the lighthouse; best viewing is by boat as the lighthouse is on the eastern side of the island. Specialty excursions from Camden to view lights in the Muscle Ridge Channel pass this lighthouse.