MaineWideWeb.com
   Maine Business Directory
Bangor Region
Belfast Area
Bethel
Blue Hill Peninsula
BoothBay Harbor Region
Damariscotta
Deer Isle & Stonington
Franklin County
Freeport
Greater Portland Region
Greater Waterville Region
Katahdin
Moosehead Lakes Region
Ogunquit
Old Orchard Beach
Oxford
Pemaquid Area
Penobscot Bay
Presque Isle
River Valley
Schoodic Peninsula
Sebago Lakes Region
Southwest Harbor
Wells
Winthrop
York
MAINE ATTRACTIONS - LIGHTHOUSES
Categories : 45
Baker Island Bass Harbor Bluehill Bay
Boon Island Browns Head Burnt Island
Cape Elizabeth Cape Neddick Curtis Island
Deer Island / Mark Island Dice Head Doubling Point
Eagle Island Egg Rock Fort Point
Goat Island Goose Rocks Grindle Points
Heron Neck Indian Island Kennebec River Range
Marshall Point Matinicus Rock Monhegan Island
Moose Peak Mt. Desert Rock Owls Head
Pemaquid Point Perkins Island Petit Manan
Pond Island Portland Breakwater Portland Head
Prospect Harbor Ram Island Ram Island Ledge
Rockland Breakwater Rockland Harbor Southwest Seguin Island
Spring Point Ledge Squirrel Point Tenants Harbor
Two Bush Island West Quoddy Whitehead
Squirrel Point Light
Located on the southwest point of Arrowsic Island, this lighthouse is one of several aids to navigation built along the Kennebec River in 1898. The 25-foot wooden tower is similar to the lighthouses at Doubling Point and Perkins Island (both on the Kennebec). The Keeper's house also was built in 1898, with the boathouse and oil house added a few years later; a fifth-order Fresnel lens was installed.

After being operated for a time by the keeper at the Kennebec River Light Station, the Squirrel Point Light was automated in 1979. The Keeper's house is now privately owned by the non-profit Squirrel Point Association. Cruises from Maine Maritime Museum in Bath and excursion boats from Boothbay Harbor pass this light; there is also a footpath to the lighthouse.

Directions:
The light may be seen distantly across the river from Phippsburg on Route 209. Turn left onto Parker Head Road; the light can be seen to the left directly across the river. Alternatively, from U. S. Route 1 just north of Bath, take Route 127 toward Arrowsic. Continue for about 4.5 miles; just before reaching the Georgetown-Arrowsic Bridge, turn right onto Steen Road, then bear left onto Bald Head Road (dirt). This road ends after about 0.5 mile in a small parking area. From that area is a footpath to the lighthouse (about /34 mile). The path begins straight ahead from the parking area; listen for the sound of water and look for the shoreline. After crossing a small, wooden bridge the path through the woods to the lighthouse is marked with faint yellow blazes. Keep the water (Kennebec River) to your right on the way to the lighthouse and on your left when returning.

Home :: Advertise :: Link to us :: Contact us :: About us

    © 2013 mainewideweb.com All Rights Reserved Privacy Statement