MaineWideWeb.com
   Maine Business Directory
Bangor Region
Belfast Area
Bethel
Blue Hill Peninsula
BoothBay Harbor Region
Damariscotta
Deer Isle & Stonington
Franklin County
Freeport
Greater Portland Region
Greater Waterville Region
Katahdin
Moosehead Lakes Region
Ogunquit
Old Orchard Beach
Oxford
Pemaquid Area
Penobscot Bay
Presque Isle
River Valley
Schoodic Peninsula
Sebago Lakes Region
Southwest Harbor
Wells
Winthrop
York
MAINE ATTRACTIONS - LIGHTHOUSES
Categories : 45
Baker Island Bass Harbor Bluehill Bay
Boon Island Browns Head Burnt Island
Cape Elizabeth Cape Neddick Curtis Island
Deer Island / Mark Island Dice Head Doubling Point
Eagle Island Egg Rock Fort Point
Goat Island Goose Rocks Grindle Points
Heron Neck Indian Island Kennebec River Range
Marshall Point Matinicus Rock Monhegan Island
Moose Peak Mt. Desert Rock Owls Head
Pemaquid Point Perkins Island Petit Manan
Pond Island Portland Breakwater Portland Head
Prospect Harbor Ram Island Ram Island Ledge
Rockland Breakwater Rockland Harbor Southwest Seguin Island
Spring Point Ledge Squirrel Point Tenants Harbor
Two Bush Island West Quoddy Whitehead
Portland Breakwater Light
A 2,500-foot breakwater and lighthouse on the south side of the entrance to Portland Harbor were planned after a storm in November 1831 severely damaged the area. Although construction began in 1836, lack of funds caused delay but in 1855 a small octagonal wooden tower with a sixth-order Fresnel lens was in operation.

In the early 1870s the breakwater was extended approximately 200 feet and a new lighthouse built at the end. Known locally as "Bug Light," the new lighthouse included Greek architectural elements. The design of the cast-iron tower is unique: petite, with Corinthian columns created to resemble a 4th century (B.C.) Greek monument. A wooden keeper's house was built adjacent to the lighthouse in 1889.

In 1934 the light was electrified, the keeper's house removed and the light tended by the keeper at Spring Point Ledge Light. As shipyards expanded into the harbor to accommodate World War II shipbuilding, the breakwater progressively shortened until the lighthouse stood only 100 feet from shore, making it obsolete. The light was extinguished in 1942, declared surplus property soon after, and sold to private ownership. The property was later donated to the city of Portland. In 1989, after long standing unattended, repair and restorations were accomplished with money from federal, state and local organizations.

Directions:
Take Route 77 from South Portland to Broadway. Turn east on Broadway and continue to Pickett Street. Turn left onto Pickett Street; follow that road around the warehouses then bear left to the parking area for the South Portland Public Landing. Entrance is free to view the light. To the right is a walkway to the light. Tour boats from Portland also offer good views.

Home :: Advertise :: Link to us :: Contact us :: About us

    © 2013 mainewideweb.com All Rights Reserved Privacy Statement