Islesboro is a 10-mile long narrow island in upper Penobscot Bay. The largest 19th century commercial shipping fleet in the bay was based at Islesboro. Located on the north side of the entrance to Gilkey Harbor, the original 28-foot tower was established in 1851 built on three acres of land purchased from Francis Grindle who became the second keeper in April 1853.
The tower was rebuilt in 1874 after succumbing to the elements, a 39-foot square brick tower attached by covered walkway to the 1-1/2 story keeper's house. Both structures still remain. A fifth-order Fresnel lens was installed; a boathouse was added in 1886 and an oil house in 1906. In 1934 Grindle Point Light was deactivated and replaced by a nearby skeleton light tower. The grounds and lighthouse became property of the town of Islesboro.
Fifty-three years later, Islesboro residents convinced the Coast Guard to recommission Grindle Point lighthouse in 1987; a solar-powered optic was installed and the skeleton tower removed. The Islesboro Sailor's Memorial Museum is now located in the keeper's house and the 1881 fog bell on the south side of the light tower is on loan from the Shore Village Museum in Rockland. Although distantly visible from the main land, the ferry between Lincolnville and Islesboro docks next to the lighthouse; the three-mile crossing takes 20 minutes each way.
Route 1 to Lincolnville (north from Camden, south From Belfast). Follow signs to Islesboro Ferry. There is parking adjacent to the ferry landing.