Goose Rocks Light was established in 1890 to mark the east entrance to the Fox Islands Therefore, a busy waterway between Vinalhaven and North Haven islands. The structure is a typical caisson type or "sparkplug” style, cast-iron lighthouse of that era, built on a circular foundation filled with concrete. Lubec Channel and Spring Point Ledge lights also are of this type.
The 51-foot tower has three stories inside and originally had a fourth-order Fresnel lens. In 1963 the light was automated, the lens replaced with a 250mm modern optic and subsequently converted to solar power. Although visible distantly from Vinalhaven, the light is best viewed by boat.