MaineWideWeb.com
   Maine Business Directory
Bangor Region
Belfast Area
Bethel
Blue Hill Peninsula
BoothBay Harbor Region
Damariscotta
Deer Isle & Stonington
Franklin County
Freeport
Greater Portland Region
Greater Waterville Region
Katahdin
Moosehead Lakes Region
Ogunquit
Old Orchard Beach
Oxford
Pemaquid Area
Penobscot Bay
Presque Isle
River Valley
Schoodic Peninsula
Sebago Lakes Region
Southwest Harbor
Wells
Winthrop
York
MAINE ATTRACTIONS - LIGHTHOUSES
Categories : 45
Baker Island Bass Harbor Bluehill Bay
Boon Island Browns Head Burnt Island
Cape Elizabeth Cape Neddick Curtis Island
Deer Island / Mark Island Dice Head Doubling Point
Eagle Island Egg Rock Fort Point
Goat Island Goose Rocks Grindle Points
Heron Neck Indian Island Kennebec River Range
Marshall Point Matinicus Rock Monhegan Island
Moose Peak Mt. Desert Rock Owls Head
Pemaquid Point Perkins Island Petit Manan
Pond Island Portland Breakwater Portland Head
Prospect Harbor Ram Island Ram Island Ledge
Rockland Breakwater Rockland Harbor Southwest Seguin Island
Spring Point Ledge Squirrel Point Tenants Harbor
Two Bush Island West Quoddy Whitehead
Goat Island Light
Established in 1834 to guide mariners into the sheltered harbor at Cape Porpoise, the lighthouse is located at the southwest end of Goat Island. In 1860 the 20-foot stone tower and keeper's house were rebuilt and a fifth-order Fresnel lens installed. The present 25-foot brick structure was built some time between 1880-1890 and connected to the 1-1/2 story house by covered walkway. A boathouse was added in 1905 and oil house in 1907.

The Coast Guard planned to automate the light in 1976 but the towns of Biddeford and Kennebunkport successfully petitioned for a keeper on the island to prevent vandalism. Notable for being Maine's last manned light station, Goat Island became the final Maine lighthouse to be automated in 1990. At that time, the Fresnel lens also was replaced. The station was used as a security post when former President George Bush was in residence at Walker's Point in Kennebunkport.

Since 1992, the Kennebunkport Conservation Trust has owned Goat Island. Plans call for reconstruction of the covered walkway destroyed in the Blizzard of 1978. The lighthouse can be seen from the wharf in Cape Porpoise.

Directions:
From I-95 take the Kennebunkport exit, follow Route 35 into Kennebunk. Take Route 9A south to Kennebunkport (or from US 1 take Route 9A also). Route 9A becomes Route 9; continue through Kennebunkport to Cape Porpoise Center. Where Route 9 Makes a 90-degree turn left, instead bear right onto Piper Road Which ends at the wharf. The light is offshore to the southeast. Better photographs are possible from a tour boat out of Kennebunkport.

Home :: Advertise :: Link to us :: Contact us :: About us

    © 2013 mainewideweb.com All Rights Reserved Privacy Statement