Built on a rocky ledge in 1875, this light was intended top mark the entrance to Frenchman Bay. Egg Rock Light consists of a brick tower in the center of a 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house; the design was intended to conserve space. The lighthouse originally held a fifth-order Fresnel lens. In 1876 the building was damaged by a March gale which moved the bell tower 30 feet. Following similar damage in an 1887 blizzard, a new skeletal bell tower was constructed and later replaced by a stem-driven fog horn.
In 1902 Egg Rock Light was upgraded with installation of a new fourth-order lens; the characteristic was changed from fixed red to flashing white. The grounding of the battleship Massachusetts in 1903 prompted addition of new fog horn to the station in 1904. However, Joseph Pulitzer, who owned a nearby estate, protested that noise from the new horn disturbed his quietude; the signal then was turned to face away from his property and remains so directed.
The light was automated and Coast Guard keepers removed in 1976. Rotating aero beacons were installed following removal of the lighthouse lantern. This change gave Egg Rock Light a decidedly homely appearance; it was labeled by many as the least attractive lighthouse in Main. In 1986, responding to complaints, the Coast Guard installed a new aluminum lantern, 190mm optic and railing around the lantern deck perimeter to improve the appearance of the lighthouse. A boathouse, oil house and generator house still remain on the property.
Almost all excursion boats from Bar Harbor pass this lighthouse each day as do whale watches leaving the harbor. The light may also be seen from the Loop Road in Acadia National Park, the Shore Path in Bar Harbor and from other high viewpoints on Mt.Desert. The lighthouse is now maintained by the U.S.Fish & Wildlife Service.
The Loop Road in Acadia National Park offers distant views of this light from several scenic overlooks on the eastern side of the park.