Located at a sharp double bend in the Kennebec River, this lighthouse was built in 1898 on the northwest end of Arrowsic Island to guide mariners into Bath. Among the four Kennebec River lights, Doubling Point is the closest to the shipbuilding harbor. The wood octagonal tower is connected to the island by a wooden walkway and originally held a fifth-order Fresnel lens; a wood frame keeper's house, oil house and bell tower were built at the same time.
The keeper's house was sold to a private owner in 1934 and the lighthouse became the responsibility of the keeper at Doubling Point Range Lights up the river (also known as Kennebec River Range Lights). Following automation in 1979, the Fresnel lens was removed and the keeper at Squirrel Point Light assumed responsibility for monitoring the light. Finally, in 1981, monitoring of all three lights (Doubling Point, Squirrel Point and the Kennebec River Range Lights) was given to the keeper at the Kennebec river station.
The lighthouse is accessible from the island and may be seen distantly from the shoreline in Bath. Frequent cruises from Maine Maritime Museum pass this light as do some excursion boats out of Boothbay Harbor.
The station is now maintained by the Friends of Doubling Point Light.
From U.S. Route 1 in Bath, take the High Street/Route 209 exit to Phippsburg. The light may be seen across the river just a short distance south of Bath. Alternatively, from U.S. 1 in Woolwich, turn south onto Route 127 and continue to Georgetown. Continue on Route 127 past the junction with the road to Reid State Park and into the village of Five Islands, then straight ahead to the lobster coop wharf. The light can be seen across the Sheepscot River about one mile away. Excursion boats offer close views of this light.