Green Island is near the town of Brooklin, west of Mt. Desert Island; it is one of four islands called the Fly or Flye Islands. On the west side of Green Island, this lighthouse was established in 1857 by order of President Franklin Pierce to guide mariners into Eggemoggin Reach connecting Penobscot Bay and the western edge of Blue Hill Bay. The lighthouse often was referred to as Eggemoggin Light.
The colonial cape keeper's house was connected by brick passageway to the tower. A barn, boathouse and outhouse also were built; an oil house was added in 1905 as well as a fourth-order Fresnel lens. The lighthouse was discontinued in 1933 and replaced two years later by an automatic light on a skeleton tower.
The property and outbuildings are now privately owned and have been carefully restored. Only about 3/4 acre at high tide, the island is about three times that size at low tide. The light must be viewed from the water.